Sunday, March 29, 2015

Who Made My Clothes? Join the Fashion Revolution #fashrev



April 24th, 2015, will mark the two-year anniversary of the devastating Rana Plaza collapse that killed 1133 people and injured many more. It is also Fashion Revolution Day.

Fashion Revolution is a global movement aiming to "help to raise awareness of the true cost of fashion, show the world that change is possible, and celebrate all those involved in creating a more sustainable future."

On Fashion Revolution Day we are asked to wear our clothes inside-out, reveal the label, tag the brand on social media and ask, #whomademyclothes?
  


I've previously written about fast fashion and its social and environmental costs, and my commitment to ethical fashion has not changed. However, I feel I should be contacting more clothing retailers to question their practices. Following last year's Fashion Revolution Day, I wrote to Australian fashion label Gorman about their supply chain transparency. They replied directing me to their "Ethical Statement". I'm still not buying Gorman and haven't done so for a few years, although they are probably better than most Australian fashion retailers. They fared...okay...in the 2009 "Travelling Textiles" report but have since been sold to Factory X, owner of brands like of Dangerfield and Alannah Hill. I can't find anything online about their supply chain. I will continue to make do with my already over-populated wardrobe, replacing items only if they wear out or no longer fit, and doing so with fair trade, second-hand or Australian (ethically) made garments.  

If you would like to read more on this topic, I've created a page with links to ethical fashion resources.

I will be asking #whomademyclothes on April 24, and encourage you to join me. You'll find me on Instagram and Twitter (and maybe at work!) with my clothes inside out.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for nice blog. SizeGenie is your personal body scanner . Quickly and accurately take your measurements so you always get the perfect fit when buying clothes online. Body-Cloud is the creator of SizeGenie , with a Kickstarter campaign on the way aiming to change fashion shopping for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. تنظيف المسابح مهم حدا فى حياتنا لما لها من اهميه كبيره جدا فى حياتنا فقط كل ما عليكم الاتصال والتواصل مع شركه زين للتخلص من اى شوائف ومن اى مخالفات فى المسبح تمتلك شركتنا افضل واعلى وسائل التنظيف وافضل العماله المدربه على اعلى مستوى كما ان الشركه تعرص خصومات هائله لعملائنا الكراك
    تنظيف مسابح
    نظافة مسابح
    شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
    شركة تنظيف المسبح

    ReplyDelete